We welcome all transfer students to a world of opportunities here at SJC and are available to help them with the transfer process. If at any time you or your students need assistance with transferring to SJC, contact our transfer office at 631.687.4545.
For a transfer application to be complete, the following materials need to be submitted:
- A completed, signed and dated Application for Undergraduate Admissions
- Students can complete the St. Joseph’s College paper application, the Universal College Application or the Common Application.
- We require transcripts from every institution a student has received credits from in order to make an admissions decisions. While official transcripts are required, unofficial transcripts can be considered when making an admissions decision.
- Students with less than 24 post high school college credits are required to submit an official high school transcript.
- A list of a student’s courses currently in progress or their current class schedule.
- A nonrefundable $25 application fee is required.
- An essay or personal statement to enhance your application is recommended but not required.
Guidelines to follow for students looking to transfer to SJC:
- We typically look for a 2.3 GPA for general admission into SJC. Students looking to enter our education programs must have a GPA of 2.8.
- Students looking to transfer in military credits are encouraged to send their military transcripts.
- Courses that are from institutions that are accredited by Middle States will be accepted.
- Credits can vary in how they transfer to a student’s program: for general elective credits only, as core course requirements or as major requirements. To understand exactly how a student’s credits will transfer to SJC, students are encouraged to make an appointment to meet with an admissions counselor.
- Students can request an unofficial credit evaluation by visiting the Office of Admissions page. SJC admissions counselors meet with students each semester at the local community colleges. These appointments may be a more convenient alternative for students then coming to our campus. To find out when we will be at Suffolk Community College or Nassau Community College, call the transfer office at 631.687.4545.
- Courses with a grade of C or higher are transferable. Grades of D may be acceptable towards elective credits if the student has an associate’s degree. However students should check with an admissions counselor for specific requirements.
- Decisions on transfer students are made on a rolling basis and students are able to being their studies in either the fall or spring semester.
- Many of our programs have no application deadlines. The only exception is our child study program. For the fall semester the deadline is June 30 and for the spring semester the deadline is December 15.
- We recommend transfer students make an appointment with one of our admissions counselors in order to better understand their program of study at SJC and how their previous courses will fit into that program. The best time to meet with us would be as soon as they think about transferring to SJC so we can make sure the current courses of study will transfer over seamlessly.
- At SJC we offer many generous scholarships for transfer students. Students who transfer in 24 or more post high school college credits and are pursuing full time studies may be eligible for scholarships. A student’s transcripts will be evaluated for scholarship automatically and a GPA of 3.0 is required for scholarship opportunities.
We try to make a student’s transfer process as simple as possible. If you or your students have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.