Transferring to SJC

St. Joseph’s College is transfer-friendly. We make every effort to streamline the admissions and transfer processes so that your transition to the SJC community is stress-free. Keep in mind that you’re in good company as a transfer student at SJC. Each year we have approximately 600 students from both two-year and four-year colleges that decide to transfer to St. Joseph's.

It is recommended that you meet with a transfer admissions adviser who can assist you through the admissions process, advise you about our academic programs and opportunities and provide information about how your credits will transfer.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is a transfer student?
You are considered a transfer student if you have enrolled in college courses at another institution after high school graduation prior to applying for admission to SJC.

What GPA is required for acceptance as a transfer student?
A GPA of 2.3 with 24 college credits is required for acceptance at SJC. A GPA of 2.8 is required for acceptance into the education programs. Students with less than 24 college credits and students in their first semester of college must submit their high school transcripts showing that they have graduated. Standardized test scores (SAT/ACT) may also be requested in addition to transcripts.

How will credits transfer from my current and/or previous institution to SJC?
Courses with grades of C- or higher are eligible for transfer credit. A maximum of 64 credits may transfer from two-year institutions and a maximum of 96 credits may transfer from a four-year institution. A minimum of 48 credits must be completed at SJC. A minimum of 128 credits is required for completion of a bachelor’s degree at SJC. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted during the application process, however official transcripts are required in order to receive transfer credit and must be submitted prior to the first day of classes.

How will I know which credits will apply toward my degree/major?

Transfer credits may or may not apply to certain majors. It is recommended that you meet with a transfer admissions adviser to determine applicability of your transfer credits.

How do I receive credit for Advanced Placement (AP) courses taken in high school?

SJC recognizes and awards credit for AP courses. An official test score report must be requested from the College Board to be sent to SJC. Depending on the course, students may receive credit for AP test scores of 3 or higher. Some courses require higher test scores in order to award credit. For specific information about how to transfer AP credits, contact the registrar’s office at 631.687.1400.

Does my GPA from my previous institution transfer?
No. Your GPA at SJC will reflect only the courses you complete at SJC.

Adult Undergraduate Information Session
8/23: Brooklyn. Interested in returning to college?
Late Night Admissions Hours
8/28: Brooklyn. For prospective adult undergraduate students.
One-Stop Enrollment
9/4: Long Island. For adult-learner undergraduate programs.
Get the Adobe Flash Player to see this video.