be extraordinary • Become HR certified
Expand your knowledge and prepare for certification with the SHRM Learning System.
In partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), St. Joseph's College offers a program for human resource professionals utilizing the SHRM Learning System, a program designed primarily for individuals seeking certification as Professional in Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR).
Preparing for and taking the certification exam takes considerable time and effort. Our course aids in making the process easier and more effective by offering the best exam preparation system available in a classroom environment.
Created by subject matter experts, the curriculum covers the most up-to-date HR Certification Institute (HRCI) body of knowledge and is the top-ranked certification preparation program for consistently helping professionals beat the national pass rate.
Participants may choose a Saturday course either at the Long Island Campus or the Brooklyn Campus, or an online course. To receive a course certificate, the participants must attend at least four sessions. All participants must score at least 70 percent or better on the final examination.
The key to success of the PHR/SPHR certification and SHRM Learning System is the relevance of the content to the needs of today’s HR professionals. The SHRM Learning System teaches the following six modules covering the HRCI body of knowledge tested in PHR/SPHR exams.
six learning modules
The six learning modules cover a full array of HR topics. The SHRM Learning System course provides an in-depth study of key areas in human resource management. Course materials include six extensive print modules that correspond to six functional areas, responsibilities and associated knowledge defined by HRCI.
Business Management and Strategy
- Strategic role of HR in organizations
- HR business management skills
- Planning process
- Evaluating the internal/external environment
- HR and the legislative and regulatory environment
Workforce Planning and Employment
- Employee rights, privacy and consumer protection legislation
- Organizational staffing requirements
- Job analysis and documentation
- Recruitment, flexible staffing, selection and retention
Human Resource Development
- Organizational development initiatives
- Adult learning and motivation; training and development
- Talent and performance management
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation structure and systems
- Benefit programs (government mandated, deferred compensation plans, health care and other non-statutory benefits)
- Compensation and benefits legislation
- Evaluating compensation and benefits programs
Employee and Labor Relations
- Labor relations legislation
- Union organizing and collective bargaining
- Unfair labor practices
- Discipline and complaint resolution
- Organizational risk
- Workplace safety, health, security and privacy
- Risk-management legislation
Course Dates — Spring 2014
Long Island CampusEight alternating Saturdays from 8 a.m.-12 p.m.
February 8, 22
March 8, 22
April 5, 26
May 10, 14
Brooklyn CampusOrientation • Thursday, January 16, 6-7:30 p.m.
Six alternating full-day Saturdays from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Program registration fee is $1,050 (SHRM members $1,025), which includes all required readings, workbook and mastery tests. Individuals choosing self-study pay basically the same fee for the SHRM Learning System materials alone.
What is the SHRM Learning System?
The SHRM Learning System provides the most comprehensive and effective PHR/SPHR training program through a blended format of printed workbooks, learning software and Web-based study tools. This easy-to-use system includes key elements that make it the most comprehensive product on the market.
MORE WAYS TO LEARN
Whatever your learning style, you’ll find ways to test your knowledge and build confidence. Use our interactive case study, featuring real-life scenarios and questions, to apply your knowledge. And be sure to check out the Online Learning Center for a wealth of supplemental study materials:
- Quickstarts: Guided overviews for each module highlight key topics
- Assessment: Identifies topics a participant already knows and those areas that require more time and attention
- Tests: More than 1,000 questions for continually testing knowledge and comprehension
- Post-test: Weighted and balanced to mimic the scored PHR/SPHR exam; presented in the style and format used by the HR Certification Institute
- Online Learning Center: Downloadable audio and Webcasts, flashcards (printed, online or audio), HR updates, related links, feedback feature and more
Best of all, you can access the SHRM Learning System via your PC, laptop, smart phone or e-reader device, making it easy to study wherever and whenever you have time.
Don’t miss our upcoming session. Take our course, earn your certification and be ready for career advancement.
Eligibility for Examinations
The HR Certification Institute now requires professionals sitting for
the PHR or SPHR exams to have a combination of demonstrated work
experience and education. Visit www.hrci.org for more details.
The College reserves the right to cancel courses. In the event of cancellation, all registrants will be notified immediately and a full refund will be made. Persons wishing to cancel their enrollment and receive a refund of the registration fee must do so in writing no later than five days prior to the first class.