What is Wellness Counseling?
Wellness counseling is a holistic and educational approach to health and healing that addresses the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual aspects of an individual. Wellness counseling is not psychotherapy nor is it about giving advice. Instead, this approach is aimed at cultivating healthy lifestyle changes.
Wellness counseling examines both the symptoms and the underlying causes of stress while encouraging a variety of complementary and alternative health remedies. Many symptoms can be alleviated or improved by making simple changes in one’s lifestyle. Wellness counselors will help you strategize, prioritize, problem solve and develop an action plan targeted toward your individual concerns and stressors.
What is a Wellness Counseling Session?
A wellness counselor creates a therapeutic space for the individual to explore themselves. Self-care strategies and education that empowers the individual are provided. Individuals take control of their own health care plan and work with the wellness counselor to improve the overall quality of their life.
Wellness counseling sessions are highly individualized sessions tailored to meet the unique needs of each individual. The wellness counselor and the individual make decisions together to develop appropriate and attainable goals. Three to six sessions are generally recommended and sessions are typically 45 minutes in length.
Benefits of Wellness Counseling
The benefits of wellness counseling vary with each individual. Some general benefits include:
- Identify the cause(s) of stress and suffering
- Create short-term and long-term life goals
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Improve the overall quality of life
- Build a sense of peace and inner balance
- Discover one’s strength and purpose in life
- Become empowered and an active participant in one’s personal growth
- Educate oneself on healthy lifestyle choices
- Increase awareness of negative thought patterns and limiting belief
- Increase awareness of self-defeating and self-destructive behavior
- The ability to accept and release negative emotions
- Development of positive attitudes and self-acceptance
- Gain the ability to effectively handle changes in one’s life