The mission driven institution has had eight leaders in its 101-year history.
Jack P. Calareso, Ph.D.
2014 - 2017
Under Dr. Calereso’s leadership, St. Joseph’s in 2015 successfully launched our online program, the University's fully online learning community. Online enrollment has since grown by 400% and its certificate, undergraduate and graduate degree programs are now offered to students from all 50 states. Dr. Calareso led the College until July 2017.
S. Elizabeth A. Hill ’64, C.S.J., J.D.
1997 - 2014
S. Elizabeth A. Hill ’64, C.S.J., J.D., presided over major expansion at our Brooklyn and Long Island campuses, including construction of the new Hill Center athletic facility in Brooklyn and the Business Technology Center in Patchogue.
S. George Aquin O’Connor, C.S.J., Ph.D.
1969 - 1997
The College’s longest serving president, S. George Aquin O’Connor, C.S.J., Ph.D., spearheaded a dramatic curriculum overhaul and the establishment of the Long Island Campus.
S. Vincent Thérèse Tuohy, ’39, C.S.J., Ph.D.
1956 - 1969
The College’s first female president, S. Vincent Thérèse Tuohy, ’39, C.S.J., Ph.D., launched the College’s first capital campaign, resulting in the construction of McEntegart Hall in 1965 and the Dillon Child Study Center in 1968.
Monsignor William T. Dillon, J.D., LL.D.
1945 - 1956
Monsignor William T. Dillon, J.D., LL.D., co-founded the Delta Epsilon Sigma national honor society and started the preschool at our Brooklyn Campus, now called the Dillon Child Study Center.
Archbishop Thomas E. Molloy, Ph.D., S.T.D.
1921 - 1945
Beloved by his students, Archbishop Thomas E. Molloy, Ph.D., S.T.D., was the College’s first philosophy professor. He was heralded as president for his undying dedication to the students.
Bishop Charles E. McDonnell, D.D.
1916 - 1921
Bishop Charles E. McDonnell, D.D., announced the opening of St. Joseph's University for Women and became the College’s first president.