ACES Summer Program
The ELL “College Experience” Summer Institute at St. Joseph’s College. Join us for a summer experience filled with expert training in writing and SAT PREP!
The course runs for 14 mornings with breakfast, Monday - Thursday, between July 1 and July 24 (9 a.m. to noon) excluding July 4. There are 14 individual class sessions, which each start at 9:30 a.m. and conclude at 12:30 p.m. The daily program includes begins with an advanced literature and writing class, followed by a snack break. The sessions conclude with an SAT verbal prep session and/or computer lab coursework. The four-week program also includes a special presentation on the college selection process and financial aid (students will also have an opportunity to network with current St. Joseph’s College students and use the College library and other facilities).
The ACES Summer Bridge Course will be offered as our ENG 109 Analytical Writing course FOR THREE COLLEGE CREDITS.
The Summer Institute may include a field trip to a local art museum. This trip — and all course materials — are covered by the institute’s tuition cost.
Admission to the program is selective and based on all submitted materials. To be considered, students must have lived in the United States for six years or less and speak a language other than English as their native language. Additionally, students must be completing their junior year of high school to apply to this program.
Applications for the program must be submitted by May 15, 2019
. Any application submitted after the deadline will be considered on a space-available basis only. All application materials must be received for the admission review process to be completed. A completed application must include the following materials:
- Official high school transcript showing an 85 or above GPA.
- Submitted guidance counselor recommendation form.
- Completed and signed Parent/Guardian acknowledgement and release form.
- Copy of any available standardized test scores (PSAT, SAT, ACT).
- The tuition cost for the 2019 St. Joseph’s College Summer Institute is $300, which includes the cost of SAT prep, all texts, three credits and access to the campus facilities. To request further information, email Professor Catherine Meehan at [email protected] or call 718.940.5311.
All completed application materials should be forwarded to:
2019 St. Joseph’s College ACES Summer Program
Attention: Catherine Meehan
245 Clinton Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205
About The ACES ELL Summer Program
Designed for English Language Learner (ELL) high school current juniors, the ACES Summer Program provides students with an opportunity to improve their analytical writing with the assistance of college instructors and tutors, SAT test preparation, as well as the chance to sample college life through an on-campus program that provides a multitude of benefits. It can eventually also culminate in enrollment at St. Joseph’s College through the ACES program.
The description of English 109: Analytical Writing, in the college catalogue, reads:
Emphasis on increasing student skill in the use of logical progression, clarity, analysis, and illustration in writing. Attention to grammar, sentence and paragraph structures, punctuation and usage as backdrop to effective exposition, argumentation and editing of written material.
Additional Benefits of the Summer Institute:
- Improve SAT Verbal scores.
- Become familiar with taking a college class.
- Get tips on succeeding in college.
- Meet and work with college professors.
- Learn advanced note-taking skills.
- Develop friendships with students from different schools.
- Enjoy another outstanding extracurricular activity you can add to your college application.
"When I started attending these classes during the summer program, I realized that these were actually college classes. I immediately found the program to be extremely helpful for me as it actively improved my English, communication and writing skills." — Glenda Ascencio, SJC ACES Math Major