PT Licensed Counselor
August 2, 2021
Long Island Campus
Counseling and Wellness
Part-time position: 15-20hr/wk.
Founded in Brooklyn in 1916, the College is independent and coeducational. The mission of St. Joseph’s College is to provide a strong academic and value-oriented education rooted in a liberal arts tradition that supports provision for career preparation and enhancement. The Long Island Campus, located in Patchogue, serves a population of approx. 3500 students who live within commuting distance to the college. The Brooklyn Campus, located in historic Clinton Hill, serves a population of approx. 1000 and
houses residential students. For more information please visit the SJC website.
The Counseling and Wellness Center at St. Joseph’s College seeks a qualified applicant for part time Licensed Counselor on the Long Island campus. The position requires 15-20hrs hours per week with no more than 999 hours worked for the year. The Licensed Counselor will provide direct psychological services to the college student population to include brief individual therapy sessions but may also include group therapy, couples therapy, crisis intervention, outreach, consultation, and educational workshops. This is a 9 month position (September – May) with flexibility in scheduling hours spanning
over early morning, evening and/or weekends.
The Counseling and Wellness Center staff primarily works from a psychodynamic and humanistic therapeutic orientation, while also incorporating experiential, holistic and mindfulness based approaches. Staff are encouraged and supported to engage in continued self- development. We have a warm, supportive, collegial environment and we are seeking a team oriented individual with strong clinical skills, who is passionate and enthusiastic about the profession.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses the psychological needs of students and develops an appropriate plan of intervention.
- Conduct initial Intake Interview and make appropriate treatment plan/ referrals/ recommendations
- Provide individual therapy and group therapy – type of group to be decided based on student needs as well as counselor’s areas of interest
- Provides brief, solution-focused psychological services to students, in which the student is, assisted in problem resolution, crisis intervention, assessment, planning, and implementation of his/her immediate and long-term clinical goals.
- Provide crisis intervention for “walk-in” students
- Participate in weekly case conference/ seminar training with counseling staff and trainees
- Serve as a member of the Counseling and Wellness team and work collaboratively with the Director of Student Counseling and Wellness
- Represent as a professional liaison of St. Joseph’s College when required
- Serve as liaison between outside agencies/legal authorities and referral sources for student care
- LCSW, LPC, LMHC
- Licensed to practice in NY State
- Experience in providing individual psychotherapy
- Ability to utilize telehealth tools and computer applications
- Experience in providing psychological services to college age students
- Psychodynamic or Humanistic Orientation
Send CV, cover letter stating interest, professional goals, areas of relevant counseling experience and date of degree completion, three professional references, and two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your training and clinical work to:
Janelle Hill, Associate Vice President for Student Life at [email protected]
It is the policy of St. Joseph's University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, age, handicap, disability, genetic history or predisposition, status as a victim of domestic violence, military status, status as a protected veteran, marital status or status of an individual in any group or class protected by applicable federal, New York State or New York City Law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, educational programs, admissions policies, financial aid, and all other school administered programs or policies. This policy is implemented in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local statutes or regulations.
St. Joseph's University, New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/SO.