Part-Time Career Counselor-10 Month Position
November 15, 2021
Reports To: Director of Career Preparation and Professional Development
Position Summary: St. Joseph’s College Brooklyn Campus is currently seeking a part-time Career Counselor. This position is responsible for conducting individual career counseling and planning sessions, supports the collection of graduate outcomes, plans and presents programs and workshops, supports on-campus recruiting eﬀorts, and provides direct career development service to students and alumni. This is a 10-month, 15-20 hour a week position.
Education Required: Bachelor’s Degree;
Experience Required: Minimum of 2 years experience working with College students
Skills, Characteristics Required for Position:
- Demonstrated experience in professional career and/or placement services
- Ability to communicate successfully across departments and with various constituents, including external contacts;
- Strong organizational skills, including time management skills and the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities;
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills, strong written and verbal communication skills; ability to prioritize;
- Provide individual career counseling sessions for students and alumni including but not limited to resume/ cover letter writing, internship/ job search strategies and graduate school guidance.
- Assists individuals in developing the necessary skills associated with career development and successful transition into the workforce or graduate school; Administer and interpret various vocational and interest inventories and advise students on possible career paths.
- Collaborate with faculty, staﬀ, student organizations and clubs to plan and deliver career related programs, presentations, and workshops for a variety of majors.
- Support on-campus recruiting eﬀorts and programs involving student and employer interactions including support with the online career services management system.
- Update and utilize career management system in the delivery of Career Preparation and Professional Development services; Maintain counseling records, assessment data and other pertinent information
- Stay abreast of industry information including hiring trends, economic information and resume design; Research, develop and maintain career materials to include information about careers, graduate education and employment.
- Provides general administrative support in the oﬃce including event planning, back-up front desk support, and representing the Oﬃce at college events including but not limited to Open House, Admitted Student Reception and Orientations.
- Serve as a vital team member of the Oﬃce of Career Preparation and Professional Development; Assist with the planning, development, and oﬃce programs, meetings, workshops and events.
- Provide direct services to students aimed at increasing retention and completion, improving satisfaction, and enhancing overall success.
- Support collection of data and assess/evaluate student learning and satisfaction.
- Maintain consistent and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work a ﬂexible work schedule including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Career Preparation and Professional Development.
- Participate in campus/department/committee meetings as required.
- Collaborate with Brooklyn/Long Island campus to provide coordinated services to students.
Please forward resumes to Robert Case at [email protected] Position will remain open until ﬁlled.
It is the policy of St. Joseph's University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, age, handicap, disability, genetic history or predisposition, status as a victim of domestic violence, military status, status as a protected veteran, marital status or status of an individual in any group or class protected by applicable federal, New York State or New York City Law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, educational programs, admissions policies, financial aid, and all other school administered programs or policies. This policy is implemented in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local statutes or regulations.
St. Joseph's University, New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/SO.