Graduate Admissions Counselor
April 28, 2022
Long Island Campus
Reports to: Christina Seifert, Director of Graduate and Professional Studies
This position has the responsibility of recruiting and enrolling graduate students. Provides courteous and accurate information to all land based and online students. This position incorporates continual follow up for all applicants which includes developing a communication flow with e-mails, letters, texts and phone calls. The candidate will be required to perform duties at two locations, Great River and Patchogue. They must be well organized and able to multi task in order to have a smooth transition from one campus to another. Responsibilities will include keeping current on the continually evolving program changes by working closely with the directors of the individual graduate programs. Attends graduate local and national recruitment fairs. This position meets with prospective graduate students, conducts admissions information sessions, assists at all on and off campus events and assists with evening and weekend office coverage.
Position duties and responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Provide excellent customer service to all prospective students
- Review of graduate applications to determine if files are complete and, when needed, request additional documentation. Continually monitor incomplete graduate applicant pool and follow up with candidates to encourage application completion
- Work closely with the Academic Department Chairs to render admissions decisions
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a comprehensive communication plan to prospects, applicants and admitted not enrolled students through Slate
- Meets with prospective graduate students about the program requirements and admissions process
- Provides new graduate students assistance with utilizing their email, web advisor and other college resources
- Advise and register new graduate students in appropriate classes for their first semester
- Attend Open House events, Information Sessions and all other on and off campus recruitment activities as needed (including virtual events)
- Researches opportunities for new graduate fairs and conferences
- Recruit at local and National Graduate Fairs
- Attend on campus workshops for graduating seniors
- Contact all accepted not enrolled students after census for possible deferral to next semester
- Liaison between the academic departments and admissions
- Develop and maintain a high level of expertise in the use of Slate and Colleague to monitor students
- Record all contacts with prospective students and applicants in through the college’s CRM
- Other duties as assigned by the Director
- Evenings, weekends and some overnights required
- Bachelor’s degree with Master’s degree preferred.
- Flexibility to work evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to travel for recruitment purposes.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, diplomacy and sensitivity when working with students.
- A team player with a good sense of humor required.
The Preferred Candidate Should Have:
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Superior public speaking skills.
- Working knowledge of enrollment technologies.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask while maintaining a friendly, calm disposition and precise attention to detail and accuracy.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office; i.e. WORD, EXCEL, CRM experience a plus
Send Cover Letter and Resume via email to:
Director of Graduate and Professional Studies
It is the policy of St. Joseph's University not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, age, handicap, disability, genetic history or predisposition, status as a victim of domestic violence, military status, status as a protected veteran, marital status or status of an individual in any group or class protected by applicable federal, New York State or New York City Law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, educational programs, admissions policies, financial aid, and all other school administered programs or policies. This policy is implemented in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local statutes or regulations.
St. Joseph's University, New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/SO.