Biology 210 in Greece
June 11–25, 2022 • Cost: $3,722
Course Registration and Eligibility
This program is open to Long Island and Brooklyn students enrolled in BIO 201CS.
For Long Island students see Lena in the Global and Experiential Center- Room 3, O'Connor Hall with your credit card or check payment. Make all checks payable to St. Joseph's University with a note in the memo line: Greece BIO, the student name, and student id. In order to guarantee enrollment in the program, these deadlines must be met.
Program Cost and Deadlines
All payments are non-refundable. Failure to make payment in accordance with the deadlines could result in the office terminating the participant's enrollment in the program. If there are unforeseen circumstances, while the University will do its best to recoup payments, a country closure may result in a loss to the student. All students may elect to add on iNext international cancellation insurance to protect against losing all program costs if they test positive for COVID.
$500 deposit, online application, and uploaded passport or passport processing receipt are due on Monday, December 6, 2021. Allow at least six weeks for passport processing. The balance was due on March 8, 2022. The pre-departure COVID test results are due 96 hours prior to departure from the United States.
The price includes:
- Breakfast in-country
- Transportation within the country for activities scheduled on the itinerary
- Entrance fees within the country for activities scheduled on the itinerary
- Roundtrip airfare
The price does not include**:
- Transportation to/from JFK
- Additional increases in taxes and fuel surcharges at the time of ticketing
- Additional activities or optional trips
- “On your own meals and trips”
- Personal expenses such as WiFi and phone
- Currency fluctuation
- Exceeding the airline’s baggage allowance
- The cost of 3 COVID PCR tests
- Saturday, June 11: Fly from JFK to Athens overnight
- Sunday, June 12: Arrive in Athens around 10am local time and fly to the island of Crete.
- Monday, June 13: Heraklion city walking tour to the covered bazaar, city walls, churches and Heraklio. Minoan Palace of Knossos aka Palace of King Midas
- Tuesday, June 14: Attend a biology lecture at the University of Crete. Tour and lectures from Marine Ecology Laboratory; then to CretAquarium Tour; Hellenic Center for Marine Research (HCMR). Afternoon free time at the beach.
- Wednesday, June 15: Take the ferry to the Greek Island of Thira (“Santorini”). On this famous blue roofed island, you’ll explore the famous ancient volcanic archaeological site of Akrotiri. Enjoy the sunset by the beach.
- Thursday, June 16: Explore the island of Santorini.
- Friday, June 17: Ferry to the famous island of Mykonos. Explore on your own.
- Saturday, June 18: Depart to Rafina and then take an afternoon ferry . Depart in the afternoon for the island of Evia.
- Sunday, June 19: Walking tour of Karystos, where you’ll visit the major parts such as the bakeries, fish market, St. Nikolas Church, Bourtzi Fortress, fishing boats, beaches, and Karystos Museum
Afternoon: BIO Snorkeling Survey of “Mantili island - Geraistos ancient port” or “Petali Islands”.
- Monday, June 20: Dimosaris Gorge Hike (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
- Tuesday, June 21: Hike to Drakospito (ancient ruins) from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. Bring your own lunch for a picnic at the top of the mountain. In the afternoon taste local wine, bread and cheese. Hike Castello Rosso for sunset views.
- Wednesday, June 22: BIO Excursion to Platanistos hills (Rema waterfall & Potami Beach) (8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
- Thursday, June 23: Depart on a ferry to Athens. Guided tour to Acropolis and museum.
- Friday, June 24: Tour Athens’s sites such as the Monostiraki marketplace, Acropolis Museum, and the Anafiotika neighborhood (island architecture in the middle of Athens)
- Saturday, June 25: Depart for the US. Arrive at JFK in the evening.
Itinerary is subject to change.
How to Apply
Directions for applying online:
- Log in to the portal and check off private computer.
- Open up your email so you do not time out.
- Click here for the application.
- Follow the "St. Joseph’s Study Abroad Program" checklist.
Faculty Leading the Program
Konstantine Rountos, Ph.D.
Kestrel Perez, Ph.D.