Greece Honors Program
Explore the ancient seaside ruins of Greece while learning about the rise, flourishing, and decline of Ancient Greece. During our tour, we will visit cosmopolitan Athens, the temple with a view (the Acropolis), home of the famous oracle in Delphi, the seaport town of Nafplio, and the site of the first Olympics in Olympia.
May 15-24, 2020 • Cost: $1,792
Course Registration and Eligibility
This is open to Long Island St. Joseph's University sophomore, junior and senior honors students.
See Lena in the Global and Experiential Center- Room 3, O'Connor Hall with your credit card or check payment. Make all checks payable to St. Joseph's University with a note in the memo line: Greece Honors, the student name and student id. In order to guarantee enrollment in the program, these deadlines must be met.
Program Cost and Deadlines
All payments are non-refundable. Failure to make payment in accordance with the deadlines could result in the office terminating the participant's enrollment in the program. If there are unforeseen circumstances, while the University will do its best to recoup payments, a country closure may result in a loss to the student. All students may elect to add-on iNext international cancellation insurance to protect against losing all program costs if they test positive for COVID.
$500 deposit, online application, and uploaded passport or passport processing receipt was due on Monday, December 6, 2021. Allow at least 6 weeks for passport processing. The balance was due on March 8, 2022. The pre-departure COVID test results are due 96 hours prior to departure from the US.
The price includes:
- Breakfast in-country
- One dinner and one lunch in-country (excluding beverages)
- Transportation within the country for activities scheduled on the itinerary
- Entrance fees within the country for activities scheduled on the itinerary
- Roundtrip airfare
The price does not include**:
- Transportation to/from JFK
- Additional increases in taxes and fuel surcharges at the time of ticketing
- Additional activities or optional trips
- “On your own meals and trips”
- Personal expenses such as Wi-fi and phone
- Currency fluctuation
- Exceeding the airline’s baggage allowance
- The cost of 3 COVID PCR tests
- Sunday, May 15: Flight departs from JFK.
- Monday, May 16: Athens - Participate in an Athens orientation to be familiar with Athens and its major landmarks. Walk around the Plaka.
- Tuesday, May 17: Delphi - Tour the Peloponnese peninsula on a 3.5 hour drive. Afternoon sightseeing of Delphi. Delphi is famous because of the oracle who lived there and informed events in the classical world. Tour Delphi sites and museums.
- Wednesday, May 18: Olympia - Drive 4.5 hours in order to visit the Olympia site and museum, where the first Olympics took place.
- Thursday, May 19: Nafplio - Take a 2.5 hour road trip across the country. Visit Nafplio on arrival and enjoy the seaside resort.
- Friday, May 20: Nafplio Visit the ancient fortified cities of Epidaurus and Mycenae. Return to Nafplio.
- Saturday, May 21: Athens – Drive to Athens stopping in Corinth to take photos of the canal.
- Sunday, May 22: Athens - Guided tour in Athens including the Parthenon new Acropolis museum.
- Monday, May 23: Athens - Full-day excursion to Cape Sounion, which includes the temple of Poseidon. Visit the archeological site. Farewell lunch at a local restaurant, near the beach, but does not include beverages. There is the possibility to rent chairs or mattresses to spend time on the beach before returning to Athens.
- Tuesday, May 24: Leave on a morning flight. Then arrive at JFK in the evening.
Itinerary is subject to change.
How to Apply
Directions for applying online:
- Log in to the portal and check off private computer
- Open up your email so you do not time out
- Click here for the application
- Follow the "St Joseph’s Study Abroad Program" checklist
Due to new government regulations, passport information must be provided with your final payment. If you need a new passport, apply immediately.
Without passport information tickets cannot be issued and delays with ticketing may create penalties and/or cancellations without a refund. If you don’t have a passport, please apply for it and provide a passport processing receipt with your deposit.
A copy of your passport is due no later than December 4, 2019.