Actors, Mystics, Heretics, Pilgrims: Religious Culture in Late Medieval England
The intellectual hub of Oxford, the renown Salisbury Cathedral, the Abbey of St. Augustine of Canterbury, theatrical London, and the mysterious World Heritage site of Stonehenge will all serve as the backdrop for this course on religious culture in Late Medieval England. Through a variety of primary and secondary source texts and on-site study, this course examines big questions and problems including: lay led Biblical drama, feminist Christian mysticism, anti-feminism, anti-semitism, corruption, and the development/role of monasteries. We will consider a range of medieval religious practices and beliefs wherein the sacred and secular, the spiritual and the historical overlap and inform each other. You have the option of extending your stay, at your own expense, and accompanying one of the professors on an optional "intellectual pilgrimage" with local writer activists on a 1-2 day walk through England.
June 24-July 3, 2019 • $2,190
Class: ENG/RS 280
Course Registration and Eligibility
Go to the Global and Experiential Center- Room 3, O'Connor Hall with your payment. Make all checks payable to St. Joseph's College with a note in the memo line: “Oxford 2019” and the student name. In order to guarantee enrollment in the program, these deadlines must be met. Remember, all students are expected to purchase airfare that will leave NY by June 23 in order to arrive at the accommodations in London by noon on June 24.
This program is open to St. Joseph’s College students enrolled in ENG/RS 280.
Program Cost and Deadlines
All deposits are non-refundable. Failure to make payment in accordance with the deadlines could result in the office terminating the participant's enrollment in the program.
$500 deposit, online application (link below), and uploaded passport or proof of passport application are due on Wednesday, December 5, 2018: Allow at least 6 weeks for passport processing. Balance due date is April 1, 2019.
See Lena Grasso in Room 3 off the Student Hospitality Lounge with your payment. Make all checks payable to St. Joseph's College with a note in the memo line: Oxford 2019
The price includes
- Accommodations (Students will be placed in individual room dormitories at Oxford university, St. Hilda’s College, for the duration of the program. Students will have access to a shared kitchen and laundry facilities.)
- 1-3 meals daily
- Excursion to Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral and a Globe Theater London visit
- Transportation within the country for activities scheduled on the itinerary
- Entrance fees within the country for activities scheduled on the itinerary
The price does not include
- Roundtrip airfare
- Transportation to/from JFK
- Additional increases in taxes and fuel surcharges at the time of ticketing
- Additional activities or optional trips
- “On your own meals and trips”
- Personal expenses such as Wi-fi and phone
- Currency fluctuation
- Exceeding the airline’s baggage allowance
Tentative Oxford Itinerary — itineraries are subject to change.
- Monday, June 24: Arrive in London
- Tuesday, June 25: London
- Wednesday, June 26: Oxford: Travel to Oxford. Jewish History Walking Tour
- Thursday, June 27: CS Lewis walking tour
- Friday June 28: Oxford: Bodleian library tour
- Saturday, June 29: Oxford
- Sunday, June 30: Leave Oxford in the morning. Arrive in Canterbury/ Stay in Canterbury this night
- Monday, July 1: Go to Salisbury. Spend the day in Salisbury and take a private sunset tour in Stonehenge at night. Accommodations in Salisbury
- Tuesday, July 2: Leave Salisbury in the morning. Spend the rest of the day in London.
- Wednesday, July 3: The program is over. You are on your own.
Itinerary and prices are subject to change and cancellation.
How to Apply
Directions for applying online:
- Log in to the portal and check off private computer
- Open up your email so you do not time out
- Follow the St. Joseph's Study Abroad Program checklist on the portal application. Click here for the application.
Due to new government regulations, passport information must be provided with your final payment. If you need a new passport, apply immediately.
Without passport information tickets cannot be issued and delays with ticketing may create penalties and/or cancellations without refund.
A copy of your passport is due no later than December 5, 2018.