SJC to Hold Veterans Awareness Week
October 29, 2014
Patchogue, N.Y. – October 29, 2014 – St. Joseph’s College (SJC) is pleased to announce that it will hold Veterans Awareness Week from November 10–13 on its Long Island Campus in Patchogue, New York. All events will honor the many veterans of the College community.
The schedule for Veterans Awareness Week is as follows:
- November 10–13 – Student Veterans of America American Flag Fundraiser, Room N224. American flags will be for sale for $1 to display throughout the Quad.
- Monday, November 10 – Student Veterans Panel at 12:40 p.m., Room N129. Student veterans will share their stories and answer questions about deployment and military culture.
- Tuesday, November 11 – Veterans Day Ceremony from 12:40 to 2 p.m., McGann Conference Center. As a tribute to Veterans Day, this ceremony will honor veterans at the College and in the community. Lunch will be provided.
- Wednesday, November 12 – MURPH: The Protector at 6 p.m., Shea Conference Room. The feature-length documentary, MURPH: The Protector, is based on Patchogue native LT Michael Murphy’s entire life of honor, courage and commitment, as told by his friends, family and teammates. Refreshments will be available.
- Thursday, November 13 – “Stories We Carry” from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., McGann Conference Center. “Stories We Carry,” a Mental Health Association of New York City project, is a national community-building initiative that connects veterans with civilians through storytelling. Told from different perspectives, these stories create a dialogue on war, its misconceptions and its effect on the community, as well as military service and reintegration to create a greater sense of shared responsibility, service and support. Refreshments will be available.
These events are free and open to the public. For more information, contact Shannon O’Neill at 631.687.2678 or [email protected]
SJC is an active participant in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program, offering veteran students financial support, a monthly housing allowance and an annual stipend for books and school supplies. For more information about military offerings at SJC, visit www.sjcny.edu.
ABOUT ST. JOSEPH’S COLLEGE
St. Joseph’s College has been dedicated to providing a diverse population of students in the New York metropolitan area with an affordable education rooted in the liberal arts tradition since 1916. Independent and coeducational, the College provides a strong academic and value-oriented education at the undergraduate and graduate levels, aiming to prepare each student for a life characterized by integrity, intellectual and spiritual values, social responsibility and service. With campuses located in the Clinton Hill area of Brooklyn and in Patchogue, Long Island, the College offers degrees in more than 29 majors, special course offerings and certificates, affiliated and pre-professional programs.