Welcome to the Department of Literacy and Cognition
Be the difference. Make a difference.
If you are looking for a program that will challenge you, encourage and prepare you for a successful career as a literacy specialist, then SJC's M.A. in Literacy and Cognition is for you. Not only do we provide excellent preparation, but students in our program receive over 50 hours of hands-on learning experience with children.
Many of our students go on to become literacy coaches, specialists, supervisors and administrators. If you really want to make a difference and give a child the greatest gift of all, the gift of reading, then join us!
Did you know...
- One in four children in America grow up without learning how to read.
- Students who don't read proficiently by the third grade are four times more likely to drop out of school.
- By three years of age, there is a 30 million-word gap between children from the wealthiest and poorest families.
- If a reading problem is identified early, and the proper intervention applied, 90-95 percent of children "at risk" for reading failure will become fluent readers.
- Literacy specialists have more students reading at a higher rate because they have the training that is essential for reading improvement.
“I researched literacy programs at various colleges and found St. Joseph's M.A. program to be all-encompassing. So far, the knowledge I have gained has been invaluable to my current teaching position as a first-grade teacher. I have been able to see a difference in my students as I use the strategies and techniques I have learned."