Mission Vision and Goals
The mission of the Department of Recreation and Leisure Studies is to provide a strong value-oriented education at the undergraduate level, rooted in a liberal arts tradition that supports provision for career preparation and enhancement. As such, the department, as the College, aims in this way to prepare each student for a life characterized by integrity, intellectual and spiritual values, social responsibility, and service — a life that is worthy of the College’s motto, Esse non videri: “To be, not to seem.” Toward this end, the department strives to develop competent professionals whom will further promote and foster a greater awareness of the importance of leisure and its impact on quality of life for individuals and society at large.
- To offer a curriculum of recreation that will provide students with the knowledge, skills and abilities to find and maintain positions in the recreation field.
- To offer a curriculum and instruction of recreation which will prepare students academically so as to enable them to successfully complete national and regional certification examinations.
- To offer a curriculum which stimulates and enhances student’s abilities to develop a positive personal value system.
- To inculcate in recreation students the desires, knowledge, skills and motivating factors necessary for working with both therapeutic and community based populations.
- To prepare students for the field of recreation by providing numerous quality field sites for internship courses and field experiences.
- To help our students develop not only as recreation specialists, but also as participants in our professional organizations by taking on more active roles.
- To provide students with an educational program that will enhance their abilities to make contributions in areas of our profession that need publication and research.
- To provide students with the skills, abilities, and confidence so they can participate in and contribute to social, civic, and professional activities in their local and global communities.
The goals of this department fulfill (carry forward, support, or relate to) the mission and goals of St. Joseph’s College in the following ways:
- By providing a curriculum that includes both theoretical and practical forms of education.
- By offering courses that enhance a student’s ability to develop positive personal values.
- By incorporating research assignments, projects, term papers, and debates relative to current issues into various required courses.
- By providing students with the resources necessary to securing quality placement for practical courses in the program.
- By becoming actively involved in many local professional organizations, which afford our students the opportunity to network and make contacts with professionals in the field.
- By providing students the opportunity to develop their own potentials through activities sponsored by the Recreation Club.