Admissions Requirements and Procedures
Recognizing that each applicant offers a unique combination of skills, achievement and promise, the Office of Admissions considers all of the components of the application, including high school academic record, co-curricular activities, community service, personal statement, letters of recommendation and standardized test scores.
Once the following items are received by the Office of Admissions, your application will be forwarded to the admissions committee for review:
- a completed application for admission (students may complete the St. Joseph’s College application or the Common Application)
- a nonrefundable $25 application fee (unless you submit a qualified fee waiver code)
- one letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor, teacher or school administrator (letters from other sources may also be considered)
- a personal statement of at least 250 words (no more than 650 words)
- official high school transcript
- official SAT or ACT scores (SAT code: 2802 / ACT code: 2890); applicants who completed HS or a GED more than one year ago will not be required to submit an SAT or ACT score (unless specifically requested to do so).
All applicants are encouraged, but not required, to have an informational interview with an admissions counselor. Appointments may be scheduled by calling 718.940.5800 or emailing [email protected].
- Deadline: St. Joseph’s College follows a rolling admissions plan, but it is recommended that students apply in the fall of their senior year of high school.
- October 1: Students should begin applying for financial aid on or after October 1 of their senior year. Students who complete the FAFSA before February 15 will receive priority for financial aid consideration.
- November: The Office of Admissions begins to notify candidates of its admission decisions in mid-November. Candidates whose applications become complete (including all supporting material) after November will generally be notified within three weeks of the completion date.
- March 15: The priority deadline for scholarship consideration is March 15, though students who apply for admissions after this date may still be considered for scholarships.
- May 1: Tuition deposit deadline. Students must complete and return their Intent to Enroll Form and $250 tuition deposit to the Office of Admissions by May 1. Tuition deposits received after May 1 will be accepted on a space-available basis.
- May 1: Housing deposit deadline. Students must complete and return their Housing Application and $500 housing deposit to the Office of Admissions by May 1. Housing deposits received after May 1 will be accepted on a space-available basis.
Registration for incoming freshmen typically will take place in late May and June. Students will receive registration information in the mail and will spend a day on campus making their fall schedule with a faculty adviser.
Orientation for freshmen will take place in late August, where students will be able to get acquainted with SJC and meet fellow students, faculty and staff.
At any point in the application process, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions at 718.940.5800 or [email protected]. We want to assist you in making the application process as simple as possible.