Still Undecided? You’re Not Alone
Heading to college and unsure about a major? You are not alone.
Approximately one-in-seven freshmen at St. Joseph’s College begin classes without declaring a major. Many others will change their major at least once before graduating. Across the country, nearly one-third of students enrolled in bachelor’s degree programs changed their majors within three years of initial enrollment, according to a recent study by the National Center for Education Statistics.
“Undecided” students have a unique opportunity for self-exploration. A strong liberal arts curriculum, along with a wide array of experiences during your first year at St. Joseph’s can help you develop new passions and spark an interest in a career path. Choose to study abroad, join clubs and activities and participate in service opportunities.
As an exploratory freshman, you are open to boundless possibilities.
Undecided Student Support
As you prepare to zero in on a major, St. Joseph’s College offers resources to help you make an informed decision. The Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development provides individualized support to help students identify appropriate majors aligned with interests, values and abilities.
The following career resources can also help students choose a major:
- Focus 2: Reliable, intuitive career and education decision-making system that can help students select a major, explore occupations and make informed choices.
- Strong Interest Inventory: A career assessment resource that helps people match their interests with potential educational, career and leisure activities.
- Candid Career: Thousands of short informational videos, featuring professionals sharing their personal job experiences, career paths and tips on what it takes to get hired in various industries and occupations.
- O*Net Online: The nation’s primary source of occupational information.
- St. Joseph’s faculty and academic advisers, many of whom are still working in their field of expertise, can help direct you to a career path that appropriately matches your strengths and interests.
- SJC 150 Self Exploration and Career Search: A one-credit elective course that encourages students to become active participants in their career and life planning process.
Do You Have Questions?
Contact the Officer of Career Preparation and Professional Development. If you are an SJC Online student either office is there to help.
Learn More About SJC Degree Programs
Select a campus below to start searching our academic programs.