Special Courses and Workshops Offered at SJC Long Island
May 13, 2016
PATCHOGUE, N.Y. – MAY 13, 2016 – The Department of Health Administration at St. Joseph’s College (SJC) will offer a series of special courses and one-credit workshops this summer at SJC Long Island in Patchogue, New York.
The schedule is as follows:
• Mondays, June 6 and 13, and Tuesdays, June 7 and 14, 6 – 9:45 p.m.: Medicaid: Learn who and what Medicaid covers, how to apply for Medicaid and when to seek legal assistance while applying for Medicaid. Every registrant will complete a Medicaid application.
• Wednesdays, June 8 and 15, Thursdays, June 9 and 16, 6 – 9:45 p.m.: Grant Proposal Writing: Learn how to plan and research your grant-writing options and then organize, write and package your proposal. This workshop will combine instruction with interactive exercises taught by experts who will provide you with the skills you need to get results for your organization.
• Saturdays, June 11 and 25, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.: How to Develop Fundraising for an Organization: Learn how to design a fundraising plan that will include individual giving, an annual appeal and special events. Topics will include: designing a direct mailing, creating a database, using the internet and other networking resources, maintaining relationships with donors, managing a campaign and planning events.
• Saturdays, June 11 and 25, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Gambling – As an Addiction: Learn the current theories of gambling and problem gambling; five types of gamblers; profiles of problem gamblers; phases of problem gambling; warning signs of problem gambling and more.
• Saturdays, June 11 and 25, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Health Care Advocacy: The extraordinary complexity of the U.S. health system leaves patients and the general public exposed to adverse health outcomes, creates disparities among vulnerable populations and can lead to large unexpected financial liabilities. By understanding how things work and who makes decisions, health care consumers can make better choices, protect their rights and make the system more reasonable for all.
• Mondays, June 20 and 27, and Tuesdays, June 21 and 28, 6– 9:45 p.m.: Health Topics – Health Careers: There are many career opportunities in health care. Learn first-hand how to best prepare yourself by hearing what the top Long Island healthcare executives are looking for in candidates. There is no fee for this workshop.
• Wednesday, June 22 and Thursday, June 23, 6 – 9:45 p.m., and Sunday, June 26, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.: Event Planning: Explore best practices for the planning, organization, implementation and evaluation of special events. This course includes an overview of human, fiscal and physical resources required for successful event planning and execution.
• Wednesdays, June 22 and 29, and Thursdays, June 23 and 30, 6 – 9:45 p.m.: Social Media in Health Care: Social media is reshaping the means by which health care is being delivered, managed and communicated. Patients, healthcare professionals, employers and insurers need to better understand the opportunities and challenges as the healthcare industry is being transformed and develop a meaningful strategy that enables them to successfully participate in this new landscape.
There are fees for all courses except Health Topics – Health Careers. Registration forms can be obtained online. Students who wish to take a course for credit will be billed the cost of one credit. For more information, contact Kara Felton at 631.687.2402 or [email protected]
SJC Long Island is located at 155 W. Roe Blvd. in Patchogue, and is accessible via the South Service Road of Sunrise Highway, just east of Exit 52 (Waverly Ave.).
ABOUT ST. JOSEPH’S COLLEGE
St. Joseph’s College has been dedicated to providing a diverse population of students in the New York metropolitan area with an affordable education rooted in the liberal arts tradition since 1916. Independent and coeducational, the College provides a strong academic and value-oriented education at the undergraduate and graduate levels, aiming to prepare each student for a life characterized by integrity, intellectual and spiritual values, social responsibility and service. Through SJC Brooklyn, SJC Long Island and SJC Online, the College offers degrees in more than 45 majors, special course offerings and certificates, affiliated and pre-professional programs.