Resources for School Counselors
As school counselors, there are a many resources available to you to assist with planning for a college education.
- A Vision of Students Today by M. Wesch A short video summarizing some of the most important characteristics of students today - how they learn, what they need to learn, their goals, hopes, dreams, what their lives will be like and what kinds of changes they will experience in their lifetime. Created by Michael Wesch in collaboration with 200 students at Kansas State University.
- The College Board The For Professionals section of College Board has important information for counselors regarding SAT and AP tests. College Board also offers professional development opportunities through their conferences and workshops, including some that are free of charge.
- Long Island Education Awareness Partnership (LIEAP) An organization that encourages early awareness of the college planning process. By responding to the needs of Long Island families, LIEAP provides programs that will help families understand and be able to navigate their way through college planning. Email [email protected] for more information.
- ACT An organization that runs the college entrance exam, ACT has information for counselors to help students prepare for the exam and higher education. The site also includes helpful articles about topics relevant to higher education.
- National Association for College Admissions Counseling (NACAC) An organization for admissions counseling, NACAC provides information about how to assist students with the transition to higher education and understand the choices available to them. School counselors can also participate in their annual national forums.
- New York State Association for College Admissions Counseling (NYSACAC) This organization provides leadership opportunities and strengthens professionalism for college admissions counselors. Counselors can attend annual conferences and network with other professionals.
- The Long Island Regional Advisory Council on Higher Education (LIRACHE) An organization composed of the 19 higher education institutions on Long Island, LIRACHE can offer information to counselors pertaining to local colleges and universities.
- Inside Higher Ed An online magazine that provides daily articles regarding the field of higher education.
- BestColleges.com shares articles and insight about the enrollment process to assist students and families throughout the college planning process.
- Federal Student Aid: Offers information about the process of filing for financial aid and where students apply for federal financial aid..
- New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC): Helps families in New York plan for and pay for college. Administers TAP in New York State.
- Fastweb.com: A free website where students can search and apply for scholarships.
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA): Provides extensive information and recommendations on federal student aid.