Career Development Resources
The counselors in the Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development are here to assist you in mapping out and discovering your career goals.
The office has designed a four-year career development plan, which can be tailored to your specific career needs and provides a framework to help you gain the most from your college experience. The following resources are available to help you in your career development process.
Four-Year Career Development Plan
The Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development has designed a four-year career development plan, which can be tailored to your specific career needs and provides a framework to help you gain the most from your college experience.
Transfer Student Career Development Plan
The Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development can help ensure a smooth and successful transition to St. Joseph’s College. Career counselors deliver personalized services and provide a framework to help you get the most from your college experience.
Counselors in the Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development are certified in the Meyers Briggs Type Indicator and the Strong Interest Inventory. All incoming first-year students will also have the opportunity to complete the Super Strong during their first semester. A counselor will determine which, if any, standardized assessment will benefit you in your career exploration.
Big Interview is an online system that combines training AND practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence.
You have at your disposal a variety of tools including:
- Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and dozens of industries
- A database of thousands of interview questions with tips on how to answer them
- The ability to rate and share your interview answers for feedback
- A comprehensive video-training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
- A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
What is Candid Career?
- Thousands of career videos! Industry professionals sharing their job descriptions, backgrounds and preparation advice.
- A fun and effective way to explore careers through short one-two minute video clips.
- Discover career fields that you did not even know existed, and learn what it takes to get hired in that field.
- “Get Hired” advice videos on interviewing, résumé writing, networking and many more topics to help you land that job!
Gathering information is crucial to the career planning process. There are a number of resources that you can utilize to research a job’s specifics (educational requirements, salary, work environment and future outlook). There are also numerous websites that offer information, as well as job openings and internship/volunteer opportunities.
In this section, you will find a few self-assessment tools that will help you discover your personality type, skills, interests and abilities. There are many more assessments available in the Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development, and we encourage you to make an appointment with a career counselor to review any assessments you take or to schedule one in the office.
These websites will help in providing you with information on the tasks, skills, education and training, salary, job outlook and resources to support you in your career research.
- O*Net Online: Nations primary source of occupational information.
- Bureau of Labor and Statistics: The Occupational Outlook Handbook: The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations.
- Glassdoor: Database of company reviews by employees, interviewing information and more.
- Vault: Research companies, explore internships and get advice on topics ranging from résumé writing to interviewing.
- Indeed: Use this powerful search engine to discover jobs and organizations who employ the positions that you are looking to obtain.
- Internships.com: Find job and internship opportunities in cities all across the United States.
- InternQueen: Apply for jobs that match your skills and make valuable connections with professionals in your field.
St. Joseph’s College Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development makes every effort to assist students and alumni in career preparation. Our office makes no recommendations or guarantees regarding positions, employers, links to outside websites and other resources available. The Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development provides these resources only as a convenience and assumes no liability for acts or omissions by third parties or for any material supplied by them. It is the responsibility of students and alumni to use great effort and caution when exploring and accepting any position, and assume all responsibility associated with these opportunities.
Students or alumni who discover any misuse or abuse of these websites are encouraged to report the matter to the Office of Career Preparation and Professional Development as soon as possible.